This closure, though inconvenient for a short time, will be a marked improvement to what has been a traffic and safety issue for some time. Contractors will be widening the street entrance, as well as creating a pedestrian walking path to ensure that our students and families can pass through the area as safely and efficiently as possible.
We expect the closure of the Boyd Street entrance to last approximately two weeks, ending on or before November 1. We understand this is short notice, but the Board was able to approve the project last night and our contractor was ready to start much earlier than expected. This allows us to take advantage of some good weather to finish as quickly as possible.
What this means:
- No cars will be able to turn into school property off Boyd Street. Because it will be an active construction area, no one will be able to walk through that entrance either. Please avoid the area until the project is complete.
- All vehicle traffic will enter through Torpey Drive, off Rochester Road. Although the start and end times for the schools/programs are staggered somewhat, we do anticipate significant slowdowns in traffic getting to and from school, beginning Thursday afternoon (and morning commute beginning on Friday morning, October 19th.)
What TSD is doing:
- We will have members of our security team directing traffic at Torpey and the front loop at IA East as well as the Troy Center parking lot exit/entrance to Baker. Administrators will also be onsite to help the flow of traffic move as smoothly as possible.
What you can do:
- Carpool whenever possible. If we can cut down on the number of vehicles entering the schools for the next two weeks, it will alleviate some of the traffic tie ups. Encourage your students to be ready to exit the vehicle quickly and safely at drop off and utilize the traffic patterns already established by your schools, if applicable.
- If your students drive themselves to IA East, please remind them to park and immediately enter the building, being especially mindful that there will be both buses and increased traffic in the parking lots. Encourage them to be cautious but not to linger in the parking lot. Bring extra patience—and allow extra time.
- We anticipate that parents and students should allow at least 10-15 minutes extra at drop off and pick up to ensure that students are in school on time. We understand that there will be traffic issues that you have no control over so please try to pre-plan but do not stress too much. The most important thing is that all students get to school and from school safely.
We have notified Troy Police and they will be on hand to help out as needed. We are working to see if we can get the light at Rochester Road adjusted to handle the extra traffic, but there is no guarantee. In the meantime, please bear with us, knowing that this improvement will greatly improve the traffic flow and safety for motorists and pedestrians who use the Boyd Street entrance as well as our overall traffic into all three schools/programs.
TO RECAP: the entrance at Boyd Street closure begins tomorrow, Thursday, October 18 AFTER student drop off, but the significant traffic issues will likely begin on Friday, October 19. The project is weather dependent, but should last about two weeks. I will let you know when the entrance re-opens.