Okma Weekly Message September 25, 2020
Greetings IA Families,
The Hybrid Schedule starts Thursday, October 1. There are lots of "housekeeping" items to be aware of when students return.
Families, staff, and visitors/vendors are required to complete the daily pre-screen before coming to school. It is advised this be done before leaving the house or in the parking lot in order to prevent a jam up at the school entrances.
The pre-screen is available at www.bloomfield.org/pre-screen and can be completed from any computer, tablet, or mobile device. Paper copies are also available for those who wish to print the checklist for a home reference.
Students and staff do not need to display a screen or paper upon building entry according to guidance received from the Oakland County Health Division. Visitors/Vendors must complete the digital pre-screen prior to building entry and visitors/vendors will be greatly limited to minimize exposure risk.
Thank you for your cooperation and daily diligence in this process! Here are just a few
- The building will open at 7:15. Students are asked to use the entrances nearest their first class and report directly to their first class:
- All students should bring a fully charged mobile computing device
- All students must wear masks - refer to the handbook for appropriate types
- Drinking fountains spouts have been disabled - students should bring a water bottle to refill at the refill stations.
- Lunch will be free for all students until December 31. Lunches will be pre-packaged using a grab-and-go model. Students are welcome to bring their own food. Microwaves are currently unavailable.
Students must leave the building at 2:45
A comprehensive listing of all staff and student protocols are contained in the IA Okma Student and Staff Handbook. Please be sure you and your child have consulted.
Silver Days: Bloomfield Hills, Berkley, Clawson, Lake Orion, Waterford, and West Bloomfield School Districts
Blue Days: Birmingham, Avondale, Royal Oak, and Rochester School District
THE Spiritwear Store is OPEN!
Remote Learning Attendance Reminders~
- Calling the attendance line at (248)341-5910 or emailing: email@example.com is the only sure way that your message is received. Emailing an individual staff member may not ensure that the message will be received.
- If a student will be missing a class they need to be called out with a specified reason, ortho, doctor appointment, home school sports, funeral etc.
- If a student will be logging off early, they MUST have a call into the attendance line or they will be marked an unexcused absence for the entire block. They are not allowed to just disappear in the middle or towards the end of a session. We do our best to get the ePasses out, but at times that doesn't happen. The important thing is that the call into attendance by a parent/guardian has been made. Make sure your teacher knows what you are doing.
- If you leave for a mid day appointment or log in later the the beginning of the day, either reply to the ePass you received or send me a note letting me know when you logged back in, so I can mark your attendance correctly. You can email: iaattendance@
- Our arrival times to classes have NOT changed. Students must be logged in and ready to go at the beginning of class. If they arrive late (within the first 5 minutes), they will be marked TARDY. If they log in AFTER 5 minutes, they will be marked an unexcused absence.
- We all understand that while working remotely, internet issues may occur. These issues will be noted by your teacher on a case by case basis.
Oct 30 - Nov 1 Three Day Weekend
Nov 25-29 Thanksgiving
Dec 21-Jan 3 Winter Break
Jan 23-24 End of Semester
Feb 13 - 21 Mid-Winter Break
Mar 27-Apr 4 Spring Break
May 29-31 Memorial Day
Service Opportunity for Students
Please see the information below if you are interested in a service learning opportunity in Pontiac. It looks like this would be a good fit for students interested in urban gardening.
This year, we received a grant from Impact100 Metro Detroit for a serious garden overhaul including new beds, hoop houses, etc. and we can use all the help that we can get in the month of October. If you have a church group, youth group, ladies group, office group or can bring yourself or your family, we'd love to have you!
- Laying new mulch and dirt
- Laying new weed barrier
- Putting new plastic on our hoop houses
- Building new garden beds
- Moving fruit trees
- Pouring concrete pads for picnic tables
- Building new hoop houses
- Planting new bulbs
All work days are all-age friendly.
We encourage everyone to bring work gloves, we'll provide the rest.
We are planning on working EVERY Friday, Saturday and Sunday through the month of October and would love your help. Please visit our facebook events page to mark which days you'd like to attend.
Are you looking for a past Weekly Message post? The last few weeks are always available on the Okma Campus main page.
You will find them on the left sidebar.
UPCOMING PTIA EVENTS
- 9/29 Tuesday 3:30-4:30 Free in person yoga at IA. Click to SIGNUP
- 9/30 Wednesday 7:00-8:00pm Webinar “Cultivating Mental Health in the Era of COVID19” featuring Dr. Gretchen Moran Marsh. See flyer for more details
- 10/2 Friday 3:30-5:30 Chalk Mural Competition - Each grade will compete to see who can design the coolest mural. The theme will be “Avatar - Last Airbender”. To SIGNUP
- 10/13 Tuesday 7:00-8:00pm Zoom PTIA Meeting main topic “IB 101”. If you have questions about the IB curriculum and what makes it different from the traditional high school curriculum, this meeting is a must watch!
Hello Music Families!
Please join the IA Central Campus Music Boosters for our monthly meetings the first Wednesday of the month at 7 PM. Upcoming dates include October 7, November 4 and December 2. We will get together via Zoom at the link below. All parents of Music students are welcome. Boosters meetings are a great way to find out more about your student’s experience and ways to help out the school. Hear from Mr. LaNoue and Mr. Lewis-Ziegler how the music classes and ensembles are working this year.
See you the first Wednesday of the month at 7 PM.
Questions? Contact Carol Hart at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Topic: IACCMB Meeting
Time: This is a recurring meeting
Join Zoom Meeting
Join our Cloud HD Video Meeting
Meeting ID: 825 7601 7210